CETAC Technologies in collaboration with Dr. Andreas Prange and Dr. Dirk Schaumloffel from the GKSS Research Center (Germany) has developed a simple, efficient and robust Capillary Electrophoresis (CE) interface for ICP-MS. The CEI-100 interface maintains the high resolving power of CE while utilizing the high sensitivity and multi-element capability of ICP-MS. Through the calculation of optimal fluid mechanical flow properties the CEI-100 provides the following benefits:
- Stable, high resolution electrophoretic separation
- Independent optimization of electrophoretic and nebulizer flows
- Low dead volume to preserve the high resolution of CE
- Minimal dilution (make-up liquid flow rate of <10 µl/min)
- Extremely low sample consumption (<1 µl/min)
- Elimination of detrimental secondary laminar flows within the CE capillary
CEI-100 components include a specialized low-flow micro-concentric nebulizer, spray chamber, connecting cross piece fitting, and mounting stand. The mounting stand includes positions to hold buffer and rinse solutions.
A number of application areas for the CEI-100 are listed below. A list of references is available.
- Metals in complex biomolecular systems
- Gold-Drug metabolic pathways
- Platinum-Protein interaction in chemotherapeutic research
- Metallothioneine studies (e.g. in context with Alzheimer's disease)
- Toxicological studies